Heritage Elementary School Safety – Lockdown Drill
Today our school participated in a "Lockdown" drill with our students, faculty, and staff. Parents and guardians, please take the opportunity to visit with your child about the drill. Each classroom was under lockdown for approximately 15 minutes. Classroom teachers, students, and our staff handled the drill extremely well. As we practice drills our goal is to give students and staff an opportunity to practice safety procedures. Additionally, we want to learn and determine areas where we can improve our practices.
For your information, during a lockdown the classroom teacher should do the following:
- Immediately clear the hallway and bathrooms by your room moving everyone into the classroom. Close your locked classroom door.
- Gather students and visitors to an interior block wall out of sight and turn out lights.
- Keep all persons away from the doors and windows to limit visibility.
- If possible, barricade door, and pull window shades.
- Ignore all bells and alarms
- Allow no one in or out of the classroom until a uniformed policeman opens the door
- REMAIN QUIET!!
- Account for students and when safe to do so relay the information to office.
Our lockdown was facilitated with the help of our school resource officer, who is a full time St. George Police Officer. He oversaw the drill and gave our school safety team valuable feedback. We appreciate working directly with the St. George Police Department to make our school as safe as possible!