Today there were a number of local schools placed on lockout because of a bank robbery. Our school, Heritage Elementary, worked directly with St. George City police in order to keep our students as safe as possible. The suspect immediately left the area and headed to the Washington Fields area. St. George Police determined to not place Heritage Elementary on lockout because the suspect left the area. The School Resource Office was at Heritage Elementary monitoring the situation. We are fortunate to have the support of our local law enforcement officers and will continue to work directly with them in emergency situations. Student safety will always be our top priority and we will work directly with local law enforcement to make sure that we are doing all we can to provide a safe learning environment!
For more information on our safety procedures CLICK HERE.
The schools effected today were placed on LOCKOUT, this means:
Definition: To rapidly increase the level of security in the facility. Exterior doors and main interior doors are locked to make it more difficult for an intruder or a dangerous person to gain access to staff and students who can then continue productive activities, in a limited fashion.
Alert Signal: Announcement—“Lockout! Secure the Perimeter.”
- Immediately move students from outside into the building
- If you are located in an area with a lockable door, gather students in the vicinity into the room and close your locked door. Classroom doors should already be locked.
- Account for students with Red and Green Cards by placing them under the door or in the window, or report your status to the administrator or designee by e-mail, phone, or intercom as directed.
- Continue with normal activities as much as the situation allows.
- If students or staff must move about in the building, first obtain permission from the administrator or designee.
- Be prepared to rapidly implement an Evacuation or Lockdown if directed to do so.
- To maintain security, all outside doors, with the exception of the school’s front doors, should be kept locked at all times.