Recently I’ve noticed that some of our students are arriving at school in clothing that does not always match our District Dress Code Policy. Please review the guidelines listed below. The intent of this policy is to help ensure that our school is a safe and comfortable place to learn for all of our students. As your student leaves for school each day you might ask yourself, “Is there anything about what my student is wearing that would distract them (or other students) from being able to learn today?” If you determine that there is something amiss, please help it get corrected before you send them to school.
Thanks for your attention to this matter!
Washington County Dress Policy purpose is intended to promote a standard of modesty and grooming among our youth. Students are expected to support the dress and grooming standards; any students not in compliance with the dress code will be asked to change into appropriate clothing or footwear. The following are specific dress and grooming standards:
- Attire and grooming should be neat, clean, and safe.
- Hair color should be within the spectrum of color that hair grows naturally.
- Avoid apparel that is so extreme as to interrupt or adversely affect the educational process or prevent participation in physical activities.
- Printed apparel must be in good taste – no profanity, no suggestive slogans, no gang messages, or anything that suggests or promotes illegal substances will be tolerated.
- Hats may not be worn in the building except on specially designated days.
- Clothes that are mutilated or immodest are not appropriate school wear.
- Dresses, shorts, skirts, shirts, and blouses should be modest in length and not revealing. (Tank tops, tube tops and garments that reveal undergarments should not be worn).
- Only shorts and skirts of modest length may be worn.
- Tops must be worn at all times. Abbreviated clothing, tank tops, belly shirts, muscle shirts or ripped clothing are not appropriate for school.
- Apparel should be worn with appropriate undergarments and suitable footwear. Flip-flops are not appropriate footwear for PE classes. (Heritage Elementary has PE on THURSDAYS)